Epiphany

I am a total YOGINI.
I've been practicing the art of yoga for almost 10 years off and on now, and for the past 2 years, I've often said (for the most part, in jest), "Yoga is so rewarding to the mind, spirit and body; it would be cool if I could teach yoga!"  Somewhere between Chaturanga Dandasana (Plank pose) and Halasana (Plow pose), I realized that what I've been saying all along shouldn't be in jest, and that a dream shouldn't just be left as a dream.  


Why not make it reality?  Here I am, sitting at my desk at work hunched over the keyboard wishing I could flip myself into Halasana.  My body craves yoga; it craves the spiritual enlightenment and physical challenge of contorting my body into awkward positions and craves a steady flow of conscious breathing to try to ease the awkward sensation of contorting my body into awkward positions. 

So here I am, making a statement.  Starting this week, I will give myself 6 months to get into tip-top yoga shape.  I will have practice everyday perfecting every angle, rotation and bend to the best of my ability, familiarize myself with the sanskrit language, and save money to afford putting myself through a school that will get me certified by Yoga Alliance.  It'll take time, it'll take patience.  But that's what yoga is about. After the six months of getting into shape, I'll apply to and start teacher training.  I can enroll in a program that will take anywhere between 3 and 6 months.


At the end of that road, I intend to teach, to share, and to show.  I am most passionate about Ashtanga (power) yoga and acro yoga.  Ashtanga, which means "eight limbs" in Sanskrit, is a fast-paced, intense style of yoga.  In other words: it burns.  Your limbs will fill with FIRE.  A set series of poses is performed (Flow), always in the same order. Ashtanga practice is very physically demanding because of the constant movement from one pose to the next.  Acro yoga uses yoga, thai massage and Aerobatics to form the foundation of a unique new practice that cultivates trust in a partner, connection and playfulness.  Sounds like me, right?


 

I figured it would be a cool side gig...teach a class early in the am to get people out of bed, to make sure their days are off to a great start.  Go to my career job during the day, then perhaps teach another class at night.


To the dream even further, once I've developed experience in teaching and have a following, I could open my own studio.  But not just "another yoga studio".  Something special, holistic.  A lifestyle studio where anyone can study themselves, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and adapt a lifestyle that will lead them to healthier, brighter lives.   

Life, Style, Study Inc. (c)  
I just came up with the name of my studio. 


Sounds like too much?  Tell me it does.  I'll prove you wrong.



Thursday, December 2, 2010 by La. Vu
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply