Trippin

David oh so happy at Bar del Pla with a glass of Terra Prima!

I'm here and finally back in Lala land (ironic since it is my reality) after 2 intense weeks of traveling in Europe!  I intended on updating this blog but found myself too wrapped up in these great moments to even turn on the computer.  So I'll have to do a little back tracking starting NOW.

To say I have the travel bug is an understatement.  Traveling is not only an opportunity to see new places and experience new cultures, it's a time to learn so much more about yourself and the one(s) you've chosen to embark on that journey with.  I realize now, more than ever, that I am so lucky to have been able to travel on my own dime with an incredibly patient man, and bless his heart for putting up with me especially when his driving made me car sick and cranky.  Thanks buddy.

Right now
I am trippin...
 on BARCELONA


BARCELONA
It's no wonder that Woody Allen created a movie called "Vicky, Christina, Barcelona".  Barcelona isn't just a place; she is just as lively as the most eccentric people in the world.  I anticipated enjoying the Barcelona leg of our trip more than the rest, but I underestimated just how much I would love the Spanish culture--the colors of the city's architecture, the smells by the sea, the dynamic landscape painted with vivid graffiti--I thoroughly embrace all that is Barcelona, including siesta!  Me encanta que están obsesionados con el fútbol, incluso cuando no es una World Cup year.

Accommodation: (Born Ribera neighborhood)  Hotel Chic & Basic


  Why it's great: Un concepto_Un hotel_Una ciudad_Un espacio de relax_Un bar_Y muchas otras cosas que no verás en otro lugar.  It's a stylish place to stay that won't break your wallet.  You can pick the colors you want the lights in your room to be--reminded me of a strip club with a clear shower in the middle of the room.  The bed is comfortable (for all essential purposes) and they offer unlimited bottles of water, espresso and Wi-fi for free in the common room area (unlimited water is essential after a day of traveling and a night or two of excessively "tasting" Spanish wine and cava!)

We explored all areas of Barcelona and found that the Born neighborhood is our favorite--great food, nightlife, friendly people, safe streets and a short walk to the Boqueria on La Rambla.  What more can you ask for?  The staff was very helpful and friendly; we even went out to a few bars with a staff member and her boyfriend!  I'm already facebook friends with her and hope to have a rendezvous when they visit the U.S.

Favorite meal: (Catalan tapas) Bar del Pla

  Why it's great: This is an establishment serving true Catalan tapas.  The foie gras and shaved mango was the best plate I had on the entire trip.  The most satisfying pan con tomate (a traditional Catalan style Bruschetta) was here.  The staff were friendly and fun, running around like mad men with steaming hot plates of blood sausage and chill glasses of cava!  It's a laid back to place to enjoy a bottle of wine and flavorful bites in a room that's bustling with Spanish/Catalan white noise.  We even received two free shots at the end of our meal (herb infused vodka) that made the smile on my face even bigger!



Let's go Twice!: (Pintxos y pintxos!) Sagardi  


  Why it's great:  Apart from the beautiful wood decor and the alley-side location where you can sit and people watch for hours (literally, yes that's what we did), the pintxos are packed with bold flavor, something I think both David and I were surprised at since pintxos are two-bite edibles (priced at 2.30 Euros/each).  Most wines offered are from Spain and the servers were always smiling and asking what we thought of the food.  Mmm que delicioso!  This is the only place we went to twice while in Barcelona.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 by La. Vu
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply