Footnotes to Human Existence {via the Web 2.0}



In looking at how technologies change the way in which humans live their lives and communicate to others, I realized that the Web and social networking properties have become a huge index of footnotes to the human existence.  Take, for example, Yelp.  It's a search engine mixed with one part layman reviews and one (huge) part social networking where over 38 million unique visitors in any given month add their two cents on where to find the best local eateries and their very thoughts on what their experience at that establishment.  Type something witty and a fellow yelper will comment on your post.

I truly do feel as though the Web is an extension of footnotes used to document our lives while simultaneously making it easier for us to research others'.  Facebook used to be my method of footnote documentation where it went a little like this: I enjoy a music video on YouTube--CLICK!  Share on Facebook; I read an interesting article on CNN.com or NYTimes.com--CLICK and Share on Facebook; I'm looking foward to an upcoming movie I just heard about--chk.  Share on Facebook; I admired a photo of myself with a friends, family, boyfriend, dog--you got it; I share on Facebook.  I suddenly can't remember the name of that song Michelle Matranga directed me to on YouTube--not to worry, it's been posted on Facebook.  I can't remember the name of the article I enjoyed and sent to friends--that's on Facebook too.  Facebook is more than just keeping in touch with friends and stalking those we wish we knew a little better; it's about documentation.  And it's not the only forum of documentation around; think about it, in academia, there are several forms in which to post footnotes.  The same is true for the Web.  I'm writing this blog post because I was sitting on the couch reading The New York Times Magazine insert in this morning's Sunday newspaper {footnote: write about a post about footnoting after reading a review on soup dumplings (read between the lines: this weekend was tough but Euro trip will change my life).}

We have Facebook, YouTube, Yelp, BLOGS (the very reason I started one--to keep track of my thoughts; to footnote my ideas and experiences), standard online forums on every topic  you can possibly think of.  Footnotes.  Now that's what the Web is good for.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 by La. Vu
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply